Thursday, April 14, 2011

"Deployment Assembly" replaces "Java EE Module Dependencies" in Eclipse Helios

Frequent Eclipse users are likely already familiar with this UI change in Eclipse Helios but it's news to me and I figured I'd write a short post about it.

First, some quick background info: I spent some time last night getting up to speed on Struts 2.  I have a decent amount of experience using Struts but it's been a while.  In fact, it's been long enough that when I last used Struts, version 1.1 was the current version.  :) Anyway, I watched a couple of Struts videos on YouTube and read a few online tutorials (link1, link 2) and was ready to get started.  I won't go into detail in this post about the basic Struts configuration of Eclipse.

Everything was going according to plan until I added my previously created Eclipse User Library for Hibernate to the build path of the Dynamic Web Project.  The following warning appeared in the Markers view in Eclipse:
Classpath entry org.eclipse.jdt.USER_LIBRARY/Hibernate-3.6.2.Final will not be exported or published. Runtime ClassNotFoundExceptions may result.
Well, I guess that makes sense.  Thinking back to the days when I regularly used Eclipse (actually I was using the IBM branded version named Rational Application Developer), I figured I probably need to configure the project's "Java EE Module Dependencies".  The only problem was I didn't see it listed in the dialog for Project > Properties.  Huh?

I did some Googling and found some forum posts about the same problem.  It turns out the "Java EE Module Dependencies" has been replaced by the new "Deployment Assembly"  in Eclipse Helios (more specifically Web Tools Platform 3.2 as described here).

I added the Hibernate User Library to the deployment package structure by doing the following:
Project Properties > Deployment Assembly > Add > Java Build Path Entries > and selecting "Hibernate-3.6.2.Final" which is the name of my User Library.

I saved the configuration change and the Warning disappeared from the Markers view in Eclipse.

No comments:

Post a Comment